Raising Comprehension Levels
Strategies to lift competent readers
This 90-minute workshop examines the approaches and pedagogies for assisting and developing capacity in students who have potential to reach the Upper Two Bands (U2B), or for students who are currently working in the U2B in reading.
Content addressed in this workshop includes:
- Assessment and capturing data – What students know and what they need to know when working in the U2B
- Text Complexity – The features of quality, complex texts and the skills and strategies students need to engage and succeed
- Quality Questioning – High-yield questioning, including text dependent questions, to assist students to develop deeper understandings and hidden meanings in texts
- Text Structures – Recognising and using organisational frameworks to support comprehension, note-taking and note-making
- Critical thinking – Scaffolding the learning process to promote critical thinking, before, during and after reading to promote deeper understandings
- Independent Learning – Developing rich tasks which promote higher order thinking and determine when to offer scaffolding, when to support students to problem solve and work independently
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- afternoon tea on arrival
- a Literacy Solutions' classroom resource
$85 + GST (Limited places are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers of Years 1 to 6.
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates. Please note that workshops not identified in your location can be booked directly and hosted at your school.