Practical Strategies for Teaching Comprehension
A hands-on workshop for Teachers' Aides of years 1 to 6
In this highly practical workshop for Teachers' Aides, participants will develop deeper understandings of the comprehension strategies and how to apply these to a variety of texts. They will learn:
- the essential strategies . . .
- determining relevance
- when texts require a specific strategy, or a combination of strategies used flexibly together
- how specific skills are embedded within the strategies of main idea, inferring and questioning
- how to craft quality, text-dependent questions
As prior knowledge underpins students' achievement on comprehension tests, attendees will learn how to support students to:
- activate their knowledge of content, text type, vocabulary, and grammar prior to reading
- apply skills and strategies for 'building' knowledge when reading about unfamiliar topics
Finally, participants will learn how to incorporate notetaking, mind maps and organisers in small group lessons to support students to sort, categorise and connect information in both fiction and nonfiction texts.
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- tea/coffee on arrival, morning tea and lunch
$215 + GST (Limited places are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers' Aides of Years 1 to 6.
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates. Please note that workshops not identified in your location can be booked directly and hosted at your school.