Prep Reading & Writing Workshop
(aka, Pre Primary, Kinder, Reception, Transition)
Effective instructional strategies for teaching reading and writing in prep.
This focused full-day workshop for Prep Teachers and Teachers' Aides examines the literacy block model as it relates to the teaching of reading and writing in the Prep Year. The workshop examines teaching approaches and connects these to authentic learning experiences in the classroom.
The vital connection between ‘what to teach’ and ‘how to teach it’ are the focus of this full-day workshop, as is the critical role of oral language in building successful readers and writers. Teachers attending this workshop will be empowered with the knowledge needed to plan for and deliver rigorous instruction for large and small groups of students.
Attendees at the Prep Reading and Writing Workshop will learn about the vital connection of oral language, reading and writing.
Topics to be examined include:
- The importance of phonological knowledge, including phonemic awareness, sound and speech-sound discrimination
- Quick games for discriminating sounds
- Early reading skills including discussion around low level basal readers and scaffolding children in guided reading
- Developing writing skills for crafting and designing texts as well as building early knowledge of writing conventions
- The importance of developing automaticity around reading and writing sub skills
- Fostering independence and developing reading stamina
- Literacy Blocks in Prep including language experience, flexibility and differentiation across oral language, reading and writing
- Approaches for teaching and supporting young writers:
- Modelled writing
- Joint construction
- Interactive writing
- Guided writing
- Independent writing
- Approaches for teaching and supporting young readers:
- Modelled reading
- Reading aloud
- Shared reading
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- tea/coffee on arrival, morning tea and lunch
- a Literacy Solutions' classroom resource
$275 + GST (Limited spaces are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers and Teachers' Aides in the prep year (students aged 4-6).
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates.