Literacy through Literature:
Essential understandings for the teaching of literature and the relevant links to Achievement Standards within the Australian Curriculum.
This focused full-day workshop for year 1 and year 2 teachers will pursue the attainment of literacy through literature.
The vital link between the Australian Curriculum and 'how to teach it' will be modelled through the use of a graphic organizer. Teachers attending this workshop will be empowered with the knowledge needed to plan for and deliver literacy through literature for large and small groups of students.
Practical examples will be examined throughout the day to exemplify the content listed below, including the identification of rich literary texts for teachers to employ in their Year 1 or Year 2 Classroom.
Topics to be examined include:
- Why use literature? A detailed understanding of its importance in literacy.
- Strong links with the Australian Curriculum.
- Visual Literacy.
- Vocabulary and grammar.
- The choice of suitable electronic books.
- Readers Repertoire and its impact on the deep understanding of literature.
- The 3 stages of story writing.
- The use of figurative language including the demonstration of hyperboles, metaphors, idioms, onomatopoeia and evaluative language.
- The importance and implementation of Formative Assessment for the child in Year 1 or Year2.
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- tea/coffee on arrival, morning tea and lunch
- a Literacy Solutions' classroom resource
$275 + GST (Limited spaces are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers of years 1-2.
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates.