Teaching reading to the hard to teach or struggling students.
Intervention Strategies is a full-day workshop for support teachers, classroom teachers and school officers working with struggling readers. Whether supporting small groups or individuals, whether working in classrooms or withdrawing students, this webinar provides practical strategies and ideas to assist and accelerate learning. Although this webinar focuses on teaching reading, the facilitator will make links to writing throughout the day.
Topics to be addressed in this workshop include:
- Language acquisition and hardwiring
- An overview of challenges facing some readers
- Auditory processing difficulties
- Poor working memory
- Modelled Reading
- Guiding the reading
- Focused teaching approaches:
- Guided Reading
- Structured Reading
- Modified Reading Recovery: for groups of 2 or 3 students
- Decoding words:
- Strategies for remembering
- Cognitive strategies
- Importance of overlearning
- Strategies for teaching fluency
Please note: this workshop includes content around specific learning difficulties, but is designed for broader groups and therefore does not focus on any one learning disability.
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- tea/coffee on arrival, morning tea and lunch
- a Literacy Solutions' classroom resource
$285 + GST (Limited places are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers of years 2-6.
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates.