Practise is important! The volume of words students read matters.
Proficient readers have a tendency to read for pleasure. Through reading, these students broaden their general knowledge, increase their knowledge of language features and text types and develop automaticity of reading subskills. In contrast, some students read only when instructed. These students may not read for pleasure and may not sample sufficient text to optimise important reading instruction offered by teachers.
In this 90-minute webinar, teachers will explore ways to increase the reading mileage of all students to yield a higher return.
- explore why reading mileage matters
- discuss suitable texts for independent reading
- examine the importance of overlearning, or developing automaticity of reading subskills and strategic actions
- examine the roles of independent reading models within the classroom literacy program
- discuss the critical role of reading at home across all year levels
- discuss procedures for building reading stamina and maintaining engagement
- examine the role of tasks to accompany independent reading
- identify the difference between ‘busy work’ and high yield mastery learning
You will receive:
- webinar notes (downloadable at the beginning of the session)
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers in years Prep to 6.
$59 + GST (Limited places are available so please register early.)
See our webinar calendar for dates and times.