Prep Reading & Writing Webinar
(aka, Pre Primary, Kinder, Reception, Transition)
Effective instructional strategies for teaching reading and writing in prep.
This focused full-day webinar for Prep Teachers and Teachers' Aides examines the teaching of reading and writing for foundation students.
The vital connection between ‘what to teach’ and ‘how to teach it’ are the focus of this full-day webinar, as is the critical role of oral language in building successful readers and writers. Teachers attending this webinar will be empowered with the knowledge needed to plan for and deliver rigorous instruction to large and small groups of students.
Topics to be examined include:
- The importance of phonological knowledge, including phonemic awareness, sound and speech-sound discrimination
- Emergent reading skills
- Using basal readers, what to teach for on low level texts and how to effectively scaffold students in guided reading
- Developing writing skills for crafting and designing texts as well as building early knowledge of writing conventions
- The importance of developing automaticity around reading and writing sub skills
- Fostering independence and developing reading stamina
- Approaches for teaching and supporting young writers:
- Modelled writing
- Joint construction
- Interactive writing
- Guided writing
- Independent writing
- Approaches for teaching and supporting young readers:
- Modelled reading
- Reading aloud
- Shared reading
You will receive:
- webinar notes
Should you attend?
This webinar is suitable for Teachers and Teachers' Aides in the prep year (students aged 4-6).
$185 + GST (Limited places are available so please register early.)
See our webinar calendar for dates and times.