Prep Language & Literature
(aka, Pre Primary, Kinder, Reception, Transition)
Planning English units around rich literature; Developing literacy sub skills (Oral Language and Concepts of Print).
This focused full-day workshop for Prep Teachers and Teachers' Aides has two main intentions. Firstly, it will examine the pre-requisite skills and knowledge for reading and writing for Prep students. Secondly, the workshop examines aspects of the Prep Curriculum and the use of literature to satisfy its Achievement Standards.
Session One will investigate what students need to know early in literacy development. Sessions Two and Three will pursue the attainment of literacy through literature.
Attendees at the Prep Language and Literature Workshop will learn about the crucial connection of oral language, reading and writing.
The vital link between the Prep Curriculum and 'how to teach it' will be modeled through the use of a graphic organizer. Teachers attending this workshop will be empowered with the knowledge needed to plan for and deliver literacy through literature for large and small groups of students.
Practical examples will be examined across the day, including the identification of rich literary texts for teachers to employ in their Prep Classroom.
Topics to be examined include:
- The importance of flexible groupings
- The unpacking of concepts about print in explicit detail
- Specific observations leading to more focused teaching
- Visual Literacy
- Vocabulary and grammar
- The importance and implementation of Formative Assessment for the child in Prep
- The importance of reflection and its implementation in the Prep context
- Teaching sound-to-letter and letter-to-sound relationships
You will receive:
- workshop notes
- tea/coffee on arrival, morning tea and lunch
- a Literacy Solutions' classroom resource
$275 + GST (Limited spaces are available so please register early.)
RSVP: Five (5) working days prior to workshop
Should you attend?
This workshop is suitable for Teachers and Teachers' Aides in the prep year.
Where and when?
See our workshop calendar for locations, venues and dates.